Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What does this mean? [Florida truancy laws]?


What does this mean? [Florida truancy laws]?
I'm 17 and due to transportation problems and a medical emergency, I've been absent or late to school, a lot. I my own car now, so it won't be a problem next year :) I got a letter addressed to the general population of students who are excessively absent saying that I could fail because of the absenses but that the failing grade could be "appealed" with the attendance board" and if the parent "doesn't participate in the activites reqested(... by Sep. 15th [my guess when school starts for me again]) ... and the absenses are still an issue... legal action may be initiated without further notice". So does it mean that if I don't see the attendence board my mom gets in trouble or does it mean by next school year if my absences from this year aren't accounted for I'll get in trouble, or what. Here is the website for what i found about the legal req's. for school truancy for my county: http://www.jacksonvillecriminallawyerblog.com/2008/05/jacksonville_florida_parents_a.html My real question is, since I'm 17 and the law only requires children 6-16 go to school, if I was absent will my mom still get in trouble legally. sorry for the lengthy-ness. thx :]
Law & Ethics - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
If the law only requires ages 6-16 to attend school and you are 17 then neither you nor your mother can get in "trouble."


2
Without consulting an attorney...your situation is "iffy"...were you 16 or 17 when you had all the absences? It applies to how old you were when the "offenses" occurred...not how old you are now... Do you have legitimate medical excuses for those days that qualify as medical emergencies (or hospital, or Dr bills showing you were treated and for what...)..a lot depends on your age AT THE TIME IN QUESTION... You sound like a smart kid...your post was well written and your use of grammar, etc. was great...(so often not, with kids your age on here!)... Consult with either an attorney or a counselor at school for answers to your question....


3
Even though state law only requires 6-16 yo must attend school, if you are "enrolled" in school you must abide by the local school board rule book issued to each student. you have several choices. 1. Attend school and abide by the rules. 2. Drop out of school and become a burden on society. 3. Ride the school bus. 4. Walk to school. 5. ..or be found to be a habitual truant student and face the reaper--including said parents.