Monday, May 2, 2011

Transfer from British College to American High School..?


Transfer from British College to American High School..?
Hi, me and my Cousin are at College in England, I am seventeen, she is sixteen, we are looking to move to America (Jacksonville, Florida) thus entering Junior year of American High School, how can we go about finding a School that would take us at such stage and then applying for Visas, finding accommodation and actually moving etc. Also, as we are under 18 but under British law, allowed to emigrate, will we need a 'guardian' in Jacksonville or will we be permitted to live alone? Also will we be allowed to obtain an American Driving License? And would we be able to work in Jacksonville being of American School Age? I'm sure I'll think of more questions at some point lol, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you x also, we already have various qualifications, mainly GCSEs, though our grades aren't exactly fantastic, would this be a contributing factor to our transfers?
Studying Abroad - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I'm not sure, but you could probably get a lot of answers here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis


2
First, understand that I'm working under my own assumptions, (I live in a different state) but as far as United States, I do believe that you need to prove to a Judge in US Court to be legally responsible for yourself and your cousin (you'll need to prove income, intentions for coming to the US, and other legal matters). Here, if a minor (under the age of 18) wants to apply for an apartment (which I'm assuming you will try to move into?) you will need help from the courts to apply. Our school system is set up in districts, if you live in a certain district, you will be placed in a certain school no questions asked (public schooling is not the same as your public schooling, it is a general admittance and our "private schooling" is "public schooling" in the UK... confusing, I know) If you want a certain high school, I added a link to Jacksonville Fl high schools that I Googled. Also, go to a government building in your area to get further information regarding visas and driving licenses. Good luck with everything, and don't forget: our drinking age doesn't start till 21! :)


3
Basically, you cannot without going through an exchange student program (such as AFS or YFU) OR finding a family to become your guardians while in the U.S (even then, a high school can refuse you). The high school will not admit you. Pretty simple -- forget this idea. You will be much better off waiting until you are in the university -- then none of the above problems will apply. In neither case, would you be able to work in the U.S. EXCEPT on a university campus for a few hours a week.