Monday, March 14, 2011

Can you live comfortably off of a teacher's salary in Jacksonville, Florida?


Can you live comfortably off of a teacher's salary in Jacksonville, Florida?
I would like to become a high school English teacher and I believe their salary ranges from $35,000-50,000. I live in Jacksonville, Florida and I was wondering if I would be capable of living comfortably as a single person with no kids on that kind of salary. I would like the luxuries of being able to go out to eat or see a movie every now and then as well as have cable and internet, but as far as rent, gas and utilities go, would I be able to afford it? All useful information is appreciated, Thank you. :)
Teaching - 4 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
It's a teacher's salary, of course not!


2
i think thats pretty standard...sounds like its liveable


3
I'm doing just fine right now. I live in the suburbs of Jacksonville, (the Clay County District), and I'm a single mom of twins, and I'm managing. You'll be able to get by fine. I also have divorce money though My best friend, who teaches at the same school as me, is 35, single, never been married (so she's supported herself on her own since college), has no kids, and seems to be doing good. She coaches a sport at our school for a little extra money, but she doesnt really need to. She does it more so to keep her busy. SHe has an apartment (since its just her she doesnt see the need to buy a full house), and its pretty nice. Nothing like NYC apartments, but its cheap, affordable, and a pretty nice place. She drives an Altima (so its not a terrible car, but not top of the line). She has nice clothes, nice shoes, can take herself to dinner or the movies a few times a week... She's doing great off of a teachers salary on her own. She doesnt live in as nice of a home as others, but its not bad, her apartments in a nice area, her car isnt amazing, but because of this she can buy herself takeout, go out to dinner, go to the movies, buy new clothes... She's not rich, she is tight on money, but living pretty comfortably. This is in a district 30 minutes outside of Jacksonville Gas is cheap, and the area isnt all to expensive. I love it over here:) My only suggestion: Work & live in the suburbs (Orange park!!, Middleburg, Greencove, Westside (a little dangerous), Southside. Its so much nicer, and safer. Email me if you have any more questions, I lived here for awhile so I can tell you about the districts and everything:)


4
Cable, phone and internet packages are available for less than $100/month. A nice apartment will probably run you around $700. Utilities are running maybe $120 a month on average (higher in summer, average in winter, lower in spring/fall) and gas is well below the US average. Also, keep in mind that Florida doesn't have a state income tax. Even on the low end of that scale, you should be able to have an occasional night out just fine.