Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Living in Jacksonville, Florida?


Living in Jacksonville, Florida?
In a few months I will be graduating with my BSN and I'm thinking of relocating from Georgia to Jacksonville, FL. I went to school in Atlanta and for the most part I like the city life but wanted more of a water scenery (grew up in Baltimore). How is life in Jacksonville, FL? Is the job market strong for a nursing graduate? Is there alot to do? I know they have a sports franchise which is great because I love football. What are some good areas to live (I'm a 22 black female and will probably be living alone). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've been to Jacksonville, FL a few times and overall I like the atmosphere. However, I still thought it would be wise to get some opinions from those who actually live in Jacksonville. Thanks in advance.
Other - United States - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I've been living here for nearly 15 years and love it...while I currently work in Tallahassee, can't bear to move and come home every weekend instead. The nursing job market is pretty strong throughout Florida and Jacksonville has several excellent hospitals (including the Mayo Clinic.) Beside the Jaguars, Jax has quite a few other sport franchises including the Sharks (Arena football), Suns (baseball) and Axemen (rugby) plus other big events (especially the PGA TPC tournament every spring.) There is a very active music scene with frequent big-name acts hitting the various venues in the area, lots of clubs with live music and a number of big music festivals (Jax Jazz Fest, Springing the Blues, etc.) As a general rule, south and east of the St. Johns probably has the best living areas - I'd steer clear of Northside (some of the more run-down areas) and look carefully Westside (especially check traffic during rush hour - Blanding in particular can be horrendous.)